Softball sweeps competition to win round-robin tournament

In a round-robin softball tournament hosted by South, the Blue Devils emerged as champions, sweeping victories against Warren Mott, Lakeshore and Birmingham Seaholm.

An explosive offensive attack powered the team to win their first game 14-5 over Warren Mott. Outfielder Mackenzie Simon ’26 said hitting and their fight against the opposing pitcher helped them secure the victory.

“They are a really solid team and can hit well, but our defense was strong and outlasted theirs,” Simon said. “We were able to hit their pitcher well.”

Sound defense and dominant pitching led the way in game two with a 1-0 win against Lakeshore. Mackenzie said they faced the best pitcher they have seen this year in this game, but the team overcame adversity and won through clutch hitting and defense.

“This game was the closest because (Lakeshore) had a really dominant pitcher that we struggled with,” Simon said. “She threw fast with good spin and (Lakeshore) could also hit very well. Our defense was good enough, though, to not let them score, and we capitalized off some errors to score one run.”

With a championship on the line, after a nine-run first inning, the Blue Devils cruised their way to a win and a first-place finish in the tournament with a 10-0 win over Birmingham Seaholm. Despite the pressure to bring home a second-consecutive round-robin championship, Mackenzie says the team came in confident and it showed on the field.

“We faced their ace but still hit the crap out of the ball and played up to a high level because we knew they were very good,” Simon said.

Winning back-to-back tournaments and only having one loss this season, team spirits are high as they look forward to the rest of the season.

“The team feels really solid and it felt good winning against harder competition,” Simon said. “Our goals are to keep winning league games to work towards the league title as well as beating North and becoming district champions down the road.”