Presidential Q&A: Conversations with newly elected student representatives

Nina Simon '21, Page Editor

SA President, Keely Messacar

Why did you run for president?

I’ve been a member of SA since freshman year and I always loved being part of the different committees– in each year, I would try out a new one and love it. When I started to chair committees, I loved bringing new ideas to the event I was in charge of and making them more fun for the whole school to enjoy. So, I really wanted to be president because that allows me to oversee all of the committees and make sure they are all going to be enjoyable and well-planned for everyone. After seeing how everything works, I was ready to step up as a leader.

What are your plans for the school year?

For next school year, I hope to bring more spirit to South and get more people involved. I would like to pump up events, bring some fresh ideas and create new traditions. I love all of South’s traditions such as Charity Week, Food for Friends and Unity Day with the pep assembly, but I would love to bring forward new ideas. This year, my history teacher and I wanted to plan a Black History Month event in February, but unfortunately, we started planning too late and were never able to make it happen. However, I would love to try to make something like this happen as a new tradition for South to take on.

How do you plan to succeed in your goals?

With the experience I have with SA, I already know how the committees work and how each event goes. I also know how to run meetings through being a leader in Devil’s Den. I know how to get more people involved and excited to participate in things which will make for a fun year.

If you could only succeed in one thing as SA president, what would it be and why?

Bring up South’s Spirit. School is way more enjoyable when it is fun and it is a lot of fun when everyone is spirited. I want people to get involved in spirit days and the different events we hold.

Vice President: Audrey Becker
Secretary: Zoe Shantz
Treasurer: Maria Lianos
Historian: Frannie O’Shea

Senior Class President, Jacquelyn Wang

Why did you run for president?
I ran for senior class president because I really wanted the opportunity to help give my class the senior year they deserve. I had such a great time being junior class president, and I’m honored to have the chance to do it again.

Our main goals for senior year are to put on a great homecoming spirit week and to give our class an amazing prom and end of the year party. We really just want senior year to be as fun as possible for our class.

Regarding our fundraising, we are actually are pretty good. We hosted a few events in the past few years that have helped us reach our goal, but we do have some more ideas planned for senior year. We’re really excited for everything.

If you could only succeed in one thing as Class president, what would it be and why?

If I could only succeed in one thing as president, it would be making my class happy. Everything student council does is for them, so giving them a great senior year is all that matters. I really just want everyone to have a great time next year, especially with our junior year being cut short.

What do you think you can do for the school that other people can’t?

I believe I have a lot of experience, and I care a lot about our class. I’m determined and passionate. I’m willing to go the extra mile to make sure we have a great senior year.

What are some things you’ve had students say they want for next year?

I think that having a good prom is what people are most looking for from student council. We have definitely heard the people, and they can rest assured that student council will do everything in our power to put on a great prom.

Vice President: Katie Bennert
Secretary: Daphne Irby
Treasurer: Alice Scott

Junior Class President, Aleena Siddiqui

Why did you run for president?

I’ve been president the past two years, and when the time for elections came, I knew without a doubt I was going to run again. I genuinely love the work I do as president. Homecoming is so fun to plan, but my main thing is about school spirit. I enjoy spirit days and going all-out while encouraging others to do the same and have that spirit for their school.

I plan to continue a lot of the things we’ve done in the past. My freshman year was the first year we held a winter Spirit Week, and I definitely want to continue that tradition. My brother started Wellness Week a couple years ago, and with him now graduating, I want to grow it and really advertise to the student body as much as possible.

I believe one of the reasons I will now be class president for three years is because of how well I am able to work with the student body. I am able to communicate well with our class adviser, council and class. With the cancelling of school, we lost out on one of our big fundraisers and we will want to pull things together next year to get a lot of fundraising together. As a council, we have put together a set plan for what we want to do next year, so we know what the plan is going ahead.

I would definitely want to succeed in increasing school spirit. I know that prom is the final goal of what we as a council do, but if people would get excited about every spirit day we have and go all-out, that would be a success to me. I always go all-out for spirit days and encourage the rest of the student body to as well. I’m not afraid to make fun of myself a little bit if it gets people involved. I think that a spirited student body makes it all that much better to be in school and it creates a welcoming atmosphere.

Vice President: Elizabeth Klepp
Secretary: Sophie Clemens
Treasurer: Rachel Rybicki

Sophomore Class President, Caroline Jeup

Why did you run for president?

I ran for president because I wanted to bring new ideas to South and I wanted to make kids’ voices heard. I love being a leader and facing new challenges.

Next year, I plan to listen to the students on what they want. I plan on running fun fundraisers to raise money for our class. I want to make South the best it can be and I will do everything I can to get that done.

To achieve our goals, my adviser and E-board are going to plan everything out and make sure we are organized so we are prepared. If we make a mistake on a fundraiser, we will make sure to learn from the mistake so we don’t make it again.

If I could only succeed in one thing, I would want to make South a school where kids can have a memorable high school experience. I want the best for all South students and for them to have lots of fun.

I can bring new ideas and that I can encourage others to join in and have fun. High school is about the experience– making new friends, going to prom or homecoming, trying to balance grades and social life and sports. I believe I can make people’s high school experience fun.

I have heard students say that they want our homecoming float to be better and for more participation at the float parties. As far as homecoming, I have talked to my E-board about themes, and we are still deciding.

Vice President: Jacob Ashkar
Secretary: Selga Jansons
Treasurer: Meredith Tiderington