Exposure in extracurriculares

Caroline Peabody ‘22, Staff writer

As the number of COVID-19 cases in Michigan increases in what some are calling a “second wave,” there is escalating controversy regarding the measurements for protection against exposure. Grace Lindsay ’23, who plays for the South field hockey and ice hockey teams, appreciates how well the procedures seem to be working.

“Masks are mandatory at all times, and we always have to get our temperature taken,” Lindsay said. “We are usually spaced out while we’re playing, (and) as long as everyone is always wearing their mask, even when we’re going to the bathroom or something, we should be good. People can’t do things like show up to practice when they’re not feeling well and ignore what could possibly happen.”

Julia Gebeck ’22 is also a member of South’s field and ice hockey teams. She said she noticed some fellow student-athletes taking shortcuts on rules, such as not wearing a mask or staying too close together.

“An issue is sitting on the benches during games,” Gebeck said. “Usually a lot of us are packed together. We try our best to stay as socially distanced as possible. No one on my team has gotten sick, so something has to be working.”

There are a variety of exposure risk levels depending on the activity, according to Gebeck. Students who are constantly moving around on a field are in a different position compared to students who are standing next to each other in a club or rehearsing for a play.

Choir member Zoe Acker ’23 is participating in the fall production, “A Simpler Time”, and echoed Gebeck’s statement. She expressed her concern for the safety of other students participating in extracurriculars during this time.

“At some point, this has become almost a habit or even a new way of life, but there’s always a fear of if it’s going to get me or not,” Acker said. “I feel like sports and other athletic-related extracurricular activities could take better precautions. I understand athletes not wearing masks, but they could be more careful about maintaining a six-foot distance.”

As the community continues to tackle the virus, there will always be those that aren’t concerned about COVID-19 or spreading it to others, according to Acker. She said those individuals pose a threat not only to themselves, but to others they don’t even realize.

“I feel these students are choosing to put everyone’s lives at risk,” Acker said. “With the number of COVID-19 cases rising every day, people who don’t follow these guidelines are contributing to the spread of the virus around the world.”