Holiday spirit week: Student Association brings holiday spirit to South

Frannie O'Shea '21, Staff writer

To get everyone in the holiday spirit before break, all four Student Councils and Student Association are putting on a spirit week from Mon, Dec.16th to Friday, Dec. 20th. The themes for the week are as follows: Monday is Pajama Day, Tuesday is Tropical Day, Wednesday is Ski-Themed Day, Thursday is Ugly Sweater Day, and Friday is Flannel Day.

On Monday, students can bring a pair of socks to donate to charity. There will be a chocolate fountain at lunch, in the commons, to enjoy. On Tuesday, there will be cookie decorating in the Commons at lunch. On Wednesday, Santa Claus will be coming to take pictures with students at both lunches, in Cleminson and the hallways, and students can come help wrap presents for Adopt-aFamily. Student Association will be playing music during passing times, as well. On Thursday, card-making will be in the commons for the less-fortunate, and there will be a mitten game with prizes at lunch. On Friday, there will be a movie in the auditorium, as well as hot chocolate and candy canes at lunch, and holiday music at passing times.

According to Student Association adviser Claire Sobolak, all of the advisers for the class councils and Student Activities Director Maria Mitzel wanted to bring more spirit to the school year, so that South could have an opportunity to celebrate towards the end of the semester, just like for homecoming.

“We thought about how fun it would be to bring some holiday cheer to the season and get ready for break,” Sobolak said. “We put it in place and decided to separate each day for either a class council or SA to plan it.”

According to Class of ’22 treasurer Elle Ottaway, students can participate by dressing up and enjoying the lunchtime activities.

“We hope that this week of holiday activities encourages more holiday cheer in students,” Ottaway said. “This will help them enjoy the week more to focus better in classes. This also makes the test-crammed week less stressful for students.”

According to Sobolak, it’s just a great way to celebrate together, since the whole school won’t all be together for the holidays.

“Going into that last week of break, everyone is so ready (to get out of school),” Sobolak said. “Holiday Spirit Week is a good way to just let loose, and (allows) teachers and students alike to have more fun, get ready for a break and bring fun into the classroom.”