2018 ArtFest will end third quarter on a high note

Eva McCord '21, Staff Writer

As the third quarter draws to a close and spring break swiftly approaches, South’s art department is hurriedly finalizing the preparations for the annual ArtFest showcase. According to the South website, approximately 2,000 students, parents and teachers are expected to attend.

“I’m really excited for ArtFest,” Lydia Beaton ’18 said. “We [the art students] don’t normally get the chance to see each other’s work if we’re in different classes, so it’d be a nice opportunity to see what exactly our peers are making.”

From the first day of school, students have been creating a wide variety of pieces to submit to the show, ranging from paintings to ceramics to digital art. Following past years’ trends, about 500 artists will be recognized over the course of the event.

“I’ve submitted a couple of pieces to the show,” Regan Koenig ’21 said. “It was hard work, but it’s going to be a nice show. It’s a nice thing for art students to be a part of.”

According to art teacher Kit Aro, the awards ceremony is on Friday, March 23 and gives students a chance to be recognized for their talent, effort and commitment. Aro encourages students to attend ArtFest with their friends and families in order to support the community.

“I always encourage students to get involved and push themselves to showcase their work,” Aro said.  “They put in the work, and they create something only they can create. They deserve the show.”

The exhibition is being held from March 21 through March 24, open from 8 a.m.-4 p.m. and 5 p.m.-8 p.m. on Wednesday through Friday, and 10 a.m.-2 p.m. on Saturday.