Hepner makes blue devil history for a second time

South’s first wrestler to bring home a State Champion title
Wyatt+Hepner+pictured+at+Ford+Field+with+his+opponent+Carlos+Sanchez+during+their+match+at+States.+
Wyatt Hepner ’25
Wyatt Hepner pictured at Ford Field with his opponent Carlos Sanchez during their match at States.

Last year, Wyatt Hepner ’25 made history when he became the first wrestler from South to make it to states, placing in second place for Division One. This past month, on the other hand, Wyatt Hepner returned to states and left Ford Field with a win that made him Grosse Pointes first ever wrestler to become a state champion.

“Wyatt Hepner puts in hard work all year round and encourages his teammates to do better as well,”

— Kloie Roy '24

With his whole team and family watching, Wyatt Hepner began his match, and the pressure was on. It was 0-0 going into the second period, but he escaped his opponent and quickly gained a point. Wyatt Hepner won 1-0 after he prevented his opponent from escaping during the third and final period.

“(Wyatt Hepner) was able to stay on top and not give up, which is a really good accomplishment and shows how good he is as far as his skills set,” Chad Hepner, head football coach and father of Wyatt Hepner said.

Despite the pressure Wyatt Hepner was under to win, he didn’t let it affect his confidence.

“Besides the physical training, I also mentally prepared,” Wyatt Hepner said. “I made sure I went into states like any other tournament: feeling confident and always believing that I can win.”

While training for this year’s state championship, Wyatt Hepner made incredible achievements like holding the top position on South’s wrestling team and moving up a weight class.

“I trained almost everyday, kept my diet in check and mentally prepared too,” Hepner said.

But Wyatt Hepner’s wrestling skills aren’t the only thing that’s impressive about him: he’s also been noticed by family, friends and teammates for having a strong work ethic and dedication to the sport.

“I’m really proud of (Wyatt Hepner) because I know how much work it takes to get to this point,” Chad Hepner said. “Besides just his training, I’m proud of his work ethic and dedication.”

Along with his dedication to wrestling, Wyatt Hepner also has a dedication to his teammates. He supports them, encourages them and sets a good example by training hard and putting in tremendous amounts of effort.

“Wyatt Hepner puts in hard work all year round and encourages his teammates to do better as well,” Kloie Roy ’24, Wyatt Hepner’s wrestling teammate said.

Wyatt Hepner’s win is a huge accomplishment in general, but Roy says it also means something for future competitors.

“This win shows other teams that Grosse Pointe South wrestling is going to be a problem in the future,” Roy said.