Upcycling to new trends

Kai Tibbitts ’24
The Fashion Club goes thrift shopping for new clothes and styles. Thrift shopping is one of the best ways people can reduce waste in the environment, and save money buying new clothes.

The Fashion Club at Grosse Pointe South is hosting an upcycling event during earth week this month.

Students can drop off clothing in various locations to the Fashion Club starting on Earth Day (Apr. 22) and throughout the rest of the week. After collection on Friday, clothes will be repurposed and remade into new clothing to be worn. Club President and founder of Fashion Club Sage Porter ’24 is running the event and helping to reduce global waste.

“I think that the upcycling thing is gonna be really fun; it’s a great opportunity to learn more about sustainability and the environment,” Porter said. “A lot of recyclable material is wasted each year and hurts our planet, we’re looking to reduce that.”

Fashion Club is a place at South where students host meaningful discussions about fashion in media and how it impacts their lives and how they dress today. On social media, the club is particularly active, posting about different outfits people wear, holding fashion contests and uploading inspiration for different trends and styles. Louis Cierpial ’24 is a member of the Fashion Club and has been involved in many discussions and activities.

“(Fashion Club) cares a lot about reusing and repurposing items in different ways, some of our members often go thrift shopping as a result.” Cierpal said. “We usually start our meetings with a ‘fit check’ and what we’re wearing each day, just before we move onto bigger and more influential topics.”

Fashion club meets every Thursday morning in Advisor Beth Bornoty’s room at 7:30 a.m., and new members are always welcome to join in at any point of the year. Bornoty said she has been involved with the club since last year and welcomes anybody with any interest.

“A lot of the students that are in the club are students that I had last year, and they are students who I know have genuine good intentions and interest and want to make everything around them better,” Bornoty said. “Fashion club has always been a very safe space for students. I know that we’re mainly looking for people who are going to continue to be a part of fashion club next year.”