Clubs tackling Earth Day in different ways

Natalie Lemmen '23, Staff Writer

The class of ’23 is hosting a flower sale in hopes to sell them in time for Mother’s Day and spring.  (Class of ’23)

With Earth Day around the corner, clubs at South are showing their festivity in many ways. This upcoming week is filled with many activities and opportunities for students and members of the community to contribute to helping the environment.
On Saturday, March 9, the Interact Club will be collaborating with Grosse Pointe Rotary in the cleaning up of Moross Greenway.
“On Saturday, Interact and anyone who wants to join us at Love Rising Lutheran Church, 21230 Moross Road, to collect trash and work in the garden beds in the median islands (is welcome),” President of Interact, Olivia Guzman ’22 said. “Supplies are provided, just dress for the weather and bring some gloves. It goes on from 9 a.m to noon.”
In the following weeks Grosse Pointe South’s class of 2023 student council will be holding a flower sale to raise money for their class and school. The class will be accepting online orders up until May 4, and there will be pick up opportunities on the lawn from 6-8 p.m. on South’s front lawn on May 18. There are posters displayed around the school with a QR code and an informational post on the class’s Instagram page.
“Because the class of 2023 (and other student councils) lost two years of fundraising due to COVID restrictions, we are doing extra fundraisers this spring,” class council member Jack Vetahcke ’23 said. “From the flower sale, we are hoping to sell flowers in time for Mother’s Day and spring.”
In the week leading up to Earth Day, Gardening Club will be helping rebuild the front lawn for the new season with new bulbs and some touch-ups in the flower beds and bushes.
“Helping the environment and community is a huge part of our goal as a club,” president of Gardening Club Vivian Caine ’22 said. “We want to add to South’s community by planting, growing and maintaining flowers and other plants. We believe a bright, lively garden gives everyone who sees it a better appreciation and connection with nature.”