Spring festivities

With the end of the school year quickly approaching, the Student Association (SA) has brought it upon themselves to create a plethora of fun activities to end with. The committees that have created range from all inclusive pep assemblies for the students to a fun “bring your kid to work day” for the teachers.

Kelsie George ’25 is one of the chairs for the upcoming “bring your kid to work day” and she is working hard to make the day equally as fun as it was last year.

“We want to make taking your kid to work for a day as fun and entertaining as it possibly can be,” George said. “Some things we have done in preparation for it are creating shirts for the teachers.”

“I am not only excited about my committee but all the other committees that SA has worked so hard to create and give the best experience to the students through,”

— Lulis

According to George, to continue to keep the kids entertained and enjoying their experience, they have been planning out a fun schedule for the children to follow.

“We have reached out to many teachers during our preparation to see if they will plan out some fun activities for the kids to participate in,” George said.

Beyond this, another committee is pep assembly. With Homecoming being the main event and the fall pep assembly a big deal at South, committee chair Frankie Lulis ’25 is working hard to build new suspense. Since there is no spring dance, the spring pep assembly is working to get people excited for powderpuff and spring sports.

“The point of the spring pep assembly is to have the same vibe as the fall pep assembly, but we want to add more inclusive games,” Lulis said. “During the fall, the main focus is the homecoming game, but we are attempting to make powderpuff our main focus.”

An addition that the committee is adding that they are excited for is their partnership with Devil’s Den. They have incorporated the school spirit of Devil’s Den into the pep assembly to hopefully increase more school spirit overall.

“We are going to have Devil’s Den be the announcers of the assembly and we are going to have them helping out with different activities,” Lulis said.

The assembly will be focused around powderpuff. Olivia McMillin ’25, a chair of the committee, is trying her hardest to increase participation in the event. Powderpuff is relatively new to South, but that has just motivated the committee more.

“I am looking forward to hopefully making powderpuff better this year and setting up next year with a high standard,” McMillin said. “We already have so much completed and are still working hard to achieve our goals.”

McMillin said that a new idea that has been implemented this year is jerseys. In the past, each team was simply assigned a color, but now they have purchased jerseys for each participant.

“This year, we decided to buy jerseys because we feel like it makes the game overall seem more professional, and we think it’s simply more fun for the girls participating to have them,” McMillin said.

SA has many other committees that they are getting the students excited about including free popsicle day, Mr. Blue Devil and charity week.

“I am not only excited about my committee but all the other committees that SA has worked so hard to create and give the best experience to the students through,” Lulis said.