Youth at work

Sara Dimitrijevic ’25

There are many ways teens can gain independence throughout and learn how to mature as they grow into adulthood. One major way I would say is guaranteed to help in developing maturity is having a job as a teenager.

My own experience with this was gained from my summer job at a dentist office. Helping clean the used tools for the dentist, answering the phones and setting up appointments. Having a job with the responsibility of taking care of patients, and with coworkers relying on me really helped me to understand the role I played. Because of this, I strove to improve my working skills and learn how to manage my time and workplace correctly. Even learning how to answer the phones, and sanitize the dental equipment helped me learn how to handle certain tasks and be efficient. Nonetheless, I still made mistakes, but those mistakes helped me to grow and improve. All of these factors helped me strive to have a good work ethic, which students who decide to have a job can apply to school.

Not only does having a job help with maturity and work ethic, it also helps teens learn to have financial responsibility. With this, money that is earned from one’s job can come with skills like learning how to negotiate prices, or take care of money without spending all of it.

After receiving money from my job, my first thought was about of the things I would be able to purchase, but over time I’ve learned that not spending money right away and saving it goes a long way. My parents created my own personal account that I can use now, or even save for the future when I go to college.

My experience shows that teens are able to learn financial responsibility and what the process of that would look like. In general, receiving your final paycheck also allows you to feel accomplished and proud of your success. Maybe even persuading you to work more to gain more money, which prepares you for the adult world.