Fretting about our fish friends

Alya Augspurger ’26

Everybody has seen it, but nobody really knows where it came from or why it’s in the school. The fish tank in the S-building has been around since 2008 and was originally designed and built by a student as a research project. Once the student had graduated, an old teacher began to take care of it, but since then the responsibility has been passed on to Science Teacher Shelly Rothenbuhler.

“It used to have signs behind it about certain types of fish that were put in there,” Rothenbuhler said. “I just inherited it and took over the management aspects. I really enjoy it.”

While the fish are properly cared for, many students express their concern for their mental and physical well-being. Fish fanatic Mari Mueller ’24 said she worries about the medley of fish put into the tank and how well they interact with each other.

“They put multiple betta fish in one tank, and betta fish are known to attack each other,” Mueller said. “Last year, there were a couple of betta fish in that tank, and they were definitely nibbling at each other. They would be missing chunks from their fins and tails because they attack each other. They’re very territorial fish.”

While some students worry for the fish’s health, others like Audrey Reynolds ’26 don’t see a reason for them to have to stay in a random hallway of our school, especially if the school has to spend money to keep the fish tank clean and suitable for life.

“I don’t see anyone coming up to the glass or even notice them,” Reynolds said. “I’m just (assuming) they don’t get a lot of attention. Honestly, they’re in the middle of a busy hallway, just kind of neglected, and (they) don’t really have any reason to be kept here anymore.”

Rothenbuhler said she is open to help from the student body to make sure the fish are cared for, but none have offered their assistance. Though Reynolds can’t offer a helping hand, she gives a few suggestions to get the fish better care and more recognition from the students. This attention could improve the fish’s well-being and increase their life spans.

“People wouldn’t see the tank in the hallway anymore, but I think they would be much better off in the library,” Reynolds said. “More students would see it during their tutorials and then they would be so much happier.”