Writing the next chapter

“A tradition in print since 1928”—Although it’s written at the top of every edition of The Tower, it doesn’t force you to stop and consider how to go about carrying on the legacy of a 96-year-old publication, a publication that has covered everything from Homecoming to national debates.

With the year winding down, the question of how to best move into another season of The Tower newspaper has been at the forefront of our minds. As the next Editors-in-Chief, we would like to continue South, and The Tower’s tradition of excellence while fostering a community in which truth and integrity are at the forefront. Being gifted the platform of student journalism during our high school careers means also inheriting the responsibility of using it in a way our school can be proud of.

While these past three years of journalism at South have meant something different to each of us, they’ve been significant steps in carrying us to this upcoming senior year:

For me, Julia Roeder, it has been one of the most fulfilling and rewarding classes I have ever taken. I have enjoyed every sports event, school board meeting or school play I have attended. While writing for Tower, I have recognized my love for writing—something I continue to evolve in. I am looking forward to leading this publication while still learning every day.

For me, Charlotte Glasser, my two years of writing for The Tower have allowed me to fulfill my passion for writing while discovering new creativity through page editing. Most significantly, I’ve found the environment I needed to grow out of my shell and develop the skills I will carry into my new role as I continue to grow and learn more about just how impactful being a part of The Tower can be.

For me, Omar Siddiqui, writing and editing for The Tower has not only broadened my horizons when it comes to journalism but has also allowed me to learn new, innovative skills that I can apply when maintaining and adding new features to the website. It has allowed me to grow not only as a student but as a person. I have met incredible people and have had the opportunity to learn from some of the most driven and knowledgeable students. As I take this new role, I hope that I can be the inspiration that my predecessors were for me.

As we finish out the rest of this year, we are looking forward to learning and adapting to our new roles that we are proud to hold and continuing to build the legacy we are so grateful to have been passed on.

Right Over Left,

Julia Roeder
Charlotte Glasser
Omar Siddiqui