Loch-ing in a new teacher

Elizabeth Peberdy ’24

As the semester for students is nearing an end, the journey for a new teacher here at South is just embarking. This new face in the school is Peter Loch who is here teaching US and World History.

Although he may be new to teaching in the Grosse Pointe Public School System, Loch is no stranger to this neck of the woods. Loch grew up in Grosse Pointe Woods, attending Monteith, Brownell and the University of Detroit Jesuit. He then went on to attend Albion College in the teacher education program.

“I knew right away I wanted to be a teacher,” Loch said. “Ever since I was little I wanted to be one.”

Starting in the middle of a course period can be a challenge for anyone, but Loch believes that his first week couldn’t have gone any better than it did. He credits the South community for helping with the transition to the school.

“Everyone at South, from the kids to the staff, have all been super supportive and welcoming, so it’s made this first week super easy,” Loch said. “I’m already starting to feel at home and comfortable here.”

With much anticipation for the rest of the year to commence, Loch is most looking forward to immersing himself into the community at South and is planning on coaching baseball in the Spring.

“I played baseball in college at Albion, so I am super excited to be able to bring my knowledge to kids at South in more ways than just the classroom,” Loch said.

Loch believes that he is extremely lucky to have gotten this job, and is looking forward to being a safe space for his students to look toward. Being from a younger generation, he may be more approachable for any student to reach out.

“I’m here to help,” Loch said. “And if there’s anything a student will ever need, I’ll be there to listen and understand.