Hitting it hard

Girls’ Varsity hockey plays against Liggett in a tough battle

The song, “Run This Town” plays in the background as the energy starts to take over the Liggett McCann Arena with everyone, including the players, dancing.

On Thursday, Dec. 14, the girl’s Ice Hockey team rivaled North, adding another win under their belt. South beat North in the rivalry game with a final score of 6-0. There were two goals scored in each period. Forward Evelyn Wodzisz ’26 said that the team played well during the game.

“We had a lot of shots, good control over the puck and made some nice passes,” Wodzisz said.

Many players had goals scored against North, one of them being Molly Reynolds ’25, with the assist by Anastazja Zieleniewski ’26.

“It always feels good to get a goal on the board,” Reynolds said.

After the substantial win, there are still things that a team can improve on for the next game. Wodzisz said the team still played great, even with some critiques.

“We need to work on our face-offs and breakouts,” Wodzisz said.

Many of the girls on the South hockey team have friends on North’s team, including Reynolds. She said it was fun to play against them.

“It always feels good to beat your rivals,” Reynolds said.

There are many factors that contribute to scoring many goals in a game. Wodzisz said one of them was having a really good zone entry.

“We were always at the net for rebounds and tips, which helped us a lot,” Wodzisz said.

The season is still in full swing, and this was a game that the team was greatly preparing for. Wodzisz said they have always been very competitive with North’s team, as with many sports.

“We have been working very hard this season to beat our rivals and it just felt really good,” Wodzisz said.