Social studies welcomes a familiar face

Donn+Bacon+proudly+stands+at+the+front+of+his+classroom+and+is+able+to+teach+what+he+loves.+%E2%80%9CJust+allowing+students+to+realize+they+make+economic+decisions+every+day%2C%E2%80%9D+Donn+Bacon+said.+
Grace Vollmer ’26
Donn Bacon proudly stands at the front of his classroom and is able to teach what he loves. “Just allowing students to realize they make economic decisions every day,” Donn Bacon said.

With many new teachers in the district, due to many of the various budget cuts throughout the schools, numerous students are intrigued about them and how their classes are going to run.

Donn Bacon is not new to South. He once was a student here and said he remembers it fondly. Many students might know his mom, Lynne Bacon, who is now a substitute in the district. As a new Economics and AP Microeconomics teacher, Donn Bacon was said to be compelled to become a member of the staff at South.

“In part the opportunity to teach at the high school that I went to, but also the chance to teach economics (excited me),” Donn Bacon said.

Although the school year is young, students have taken a liking to Donn Bacon. Lucy Edwards ’26 said the class is going at the right speed and she is understanding all the material.“(Donn Bacon) is really nice and seems very organized,” Edwards said. “We’re now on our third chapter in the class.”

Donn Bacon said he looked to his mother before taking the job. He said his mother always spoke highly of how South operates.

“I obviously knew (how South operates) from the student perspective, but from her side she’s still a teacher,” Donn Bacon said.

Outside of a family business, it is highly unusual to share the same workplace as a family member, let alone a parent. But Donn Bacon said it is pleasant he has the opportunity to see his mom at South in only two and a half weeks.

“I’ve seen her in the building at least twice so far,” Donn Bacon said. “It has been really nice.”

Economics can influence how a person goes about their daily life and is prevalent to a person’s possibilities beyond high school. Lynne Bacon said she believes her son’s class can help students make good choices and think out their decisions.

“Aside from being a good person, knowing how to live your life and manage your money is very important,” Lynne Bacon said.

Once a student graduates, it may not be often they want to relive good or bad memories tied to their high school. Lynne Bacon said it is a great tribute to Donn Bacon’s teachers for him to be teaching at the same place where he formerly was a student.

“He’s smart, committed and capable,” Lynne Bacon said. “I know that he’s going to do right by the kids.”