Girls Track team runs into regionals, winning second place

Sophia Kapla '23, Staff Writer

The Track and Field team had their State Regionals on May 21 and had great success. Usually the meet is hosted at South, but this year, because MHSSA staff made a few errors in selecting sites, the meet was held at Detroit Renaissance and South was unable to make the last minute changes to host the meet.

Head coach Stephen Zaranek says bottom line, the team did very well, and the team was able to place ahead of North, Cass tech and SCS Lakeview.

“We had a great day at the state regional,” Zaranek said. “ We placed second and this marks the 40th consecutive year South has finished first or second at the state regional meet.”

Zaranek also shared the multiple highlights that many of the girls accomplished. Seven of the girls advanced to the state championship meet to be held at Rockford high school on June 4.

“South’s 3200 distance relay team of Savannah Spangler, Kloie Roy, Morgan Deenik and Ella Pazachowski started things off with a great performance time of 10:20,” Zarank said. “Also South’s sprint relays in 400 and 800 earned fourth place finishes.”

Savannah Spangler ‘25 was very happy to have gotten second place. She was excited to be with the team and be able to compete with her teammates. She received first place in the mile and the two mile.

“It was fun to compete with my friends,” Spangler ‘25 said. “Since I am a freshman, I didn’t know how the meet was like the last couple years at South, but I really enjoyed the meet because of the many new experiences.”

Morgan Deenik ’24 says the meet went very well and that everyone was worried that the meet wouldn’t have happened because of the storm.

“Some of the girls in field events went to the meet early because it was very dark outside,” Deenik said. “ But overall it was a great meet, and we were all very excited to have gotten second against the D1 Detroit Renaissance team.”

Deenik said that despite this being her first State Regionals that wasn’t at South, it was still very memorable and she loved being able to have a great meet.

“Being with everyone made this a great day for me,” Deenik said. “I was glad that South had a very successful weekend and I can’t wait for states to come up.”