Planking brought back to life on social media

Chloe Polizzi '23, Staff Writer

“Planking” has recently had a comeback on social media. At South, an Instagram account called @gps.planks has recently been created, where pictures of both students and staff are posted of them planking around the school. The account is run anonymously by a student. This is due to the fact that some students may feel uncomfortable with knowing who is posting these. It is just easier to keep it clean and anonymous so that there isn’t any trouble.

Planking received its first press coverage in 2009 after employees got in trouble for participating in this trend during a night shift. This sparked people of all ages across the country to plank in random places. The stranger the setting, the better the photo.

“One day I was sitting around and I thought let’s bring back planking,” the creator of the account, who wants to remain anonymous, said. “And here we are today.”

Students have appeared to be enjoying the trend. With many pictures being posted every day, the planks are only getting more advanced and humorous than others. Olivia Boyer ‘23 shared her opinion about this account.

“I do think it’s funny,” Boyer says. “People are doing it in the weirdest places.”

That’s the fun with this account– people get to decide how creative they want to be with a plank and send pictures to the account for them to share with the rest of the school. Planking can also be done with friends to make very abstract and unique plank structures.

However, not everyone is a fan of this trend, whether it’s uninteresting or just not that humorous. Lilly Henchel ‘23 views the planking trend in this way.

“It’s an old trend that I never really found funny,” Henchel says.

Although it’s unlike the other accounts that have been created at South, it’s a great way to incorporate everyone in an activity and make everyone laugh and have a good time with it.

The account is run anonymously by a student. This is due to the fact that some students may feel uncomfortable with knowing who is posting these. It is just easier to keep it clean and anonymous so that there isn’t any trouble.

“I just wanted everyone to want to plank without a bias to who is running this account.” Jane Doe said.