Practicing social distancing, putting others first

Nina Simon '21, Page Editor

Last Thursday evening, when Governor Whitmer announced our schools would be closed for these next few weeks, I thought online school would take some pressure off of me. I assumed online instruction would involve less work than if I was at school. I am in disbelief at how wrong I was looking back only a few days later.
We have done a week of online classes so far, yet I feel like every day involves a year’s worth of schoolwork. I attribute this to the fact that, essentially, my entire day is homework. I wake up in the morning and I do as much school work as possible, while taking two breaks for walks around the neighborhood. Spending entire days doing schoolwork is draining. At least at school I can do my work during a set time with certain environmental limitations that cause me to focus. At home, I am constantly distracted, causing my work to take that much longer.
I really do miss going to school. I miss seeing my friends and classmates throughout the day. I miss being able to really get assistance from my teachers. It is more beneficial as a student to sit with teachers in their classes for help as opposed to asking for help in an email that will take hours for them to see.
As for social distancing and isolation, I expected them to be annoying. I was not ecstatic to abandon all my normalities. Nobody was. I realize not everyone my age is heeding the warnings to social distance, but I really feel I am being responsible and helpful to my community. I am staying home and weathering the storm in that way. It is not fun, but I know that in the long run, I will not regret staying as healthy as I can and keeping my family the same way. My dad has lung issues and my grandparents live in my house, so I cannot risk getting them sick with COVID-19. I doubt I would ever forgive myself if something happened to them, so I keep to my house or at least six feet away from any passersby while on walks.
I definitely believe that trying to keep to a routine and stay active during this time is helping me to stay sane. A couple miles in nature with a cool breeze really keeps me calm during this crazy time.
The fact is, this will likely go on for a while. I am trying to keep a level head and stay positive. It is what it is, so we should make the best of this situation. I am trying to stay productive, use this time to do things I would not otherwise have time to do and to try to relax at home. Stay healthy and be happy.