Production is not love

Reality dating shows do not represent real relationships
Isaac Brenner ’26

Reality TV is meant to entertain. The drama, the fights and the ability to relate to people on a broader platform are all reasons viewers invest themselves in these shows. However, the producers are not looking to teach the audience moral lessons or give advice on everyday situations. Viewers often fail to realize the “reality” part of these shows is created behind the scenes. Because of this, people’s judgment is clouded by these more appealing lives and they forget how the real world actually works. For people desiring love and seeing it come so naturally on dating shows, the fact that it is all forced is lost.

In shows including “The Bachelor” and “Love is Blind”, contestants barely date—let alone meet in person—before they get engaged. This makes for a binge-worthy series but does not shape a palpable expectation. Brides.com data finds that the average relationship lasts two to five years, specifically 30 months before engagement. In comparison, the shows mentioned go about one to two months. Unsurprisingly, USA Today states that less than 50 percent of couples from dating shows stay together. Forming relationships and trying to get good ratings are completely different things that are put together when broadcasting companies are looking for success. The job of the producers is to make money, not help people find love.

Along with the producers, it is not far-fetched to assume some contestants are in it for the money rather than the possibility of a long-term relationship. While the pay for these shows is not all equal, the attention these people get may help them reach their ultimate goal of fame. Also, making a name for themselves will help them with potential castings in other reality or drama shows. The premiere of the most recent season of “The Bachelor,” season 28, gathered 6.02 million viewers after the first week of streaming. This exposure leads to higher amounts of people applying to be on the show for the wrong reasons.

True love is something that can not be forced in real life. It can take years to build up a relationship to the point where we see reality couples get in a month. People may question what they are doing wrong, but they are comparing themselves to impossible standards. These are (literally) impossible standards because these shows hold little legitimacy. Producers forcing a relationship quickly for the sake of ratings is not a factual representation of love. Dating shows are amusing, simple and fun time-wasters. However, if viewers are using them to help fill a void in their lives, they will never serve that purpose.