Field hockey team sticks it to Plymouth-Canton with 5-0 win

South’s girls field hockey team defeated Plymouth-Canton, thanks to a cohesive team effort. Their record is now 6-4-3.

Gia Agosta '21, Page Editor

On Tuesday, October 1 the varsity field hockey team defeated Plymouth-Canton High School with a score of 5-0. 

The first goal was scored by Veronica Van Rossen ’21. Van Rossen said it was a great goal that was a result of a well-executed pass from another teammate across the circle which was then one-timed into the opposite corner of the net. 

“It’s my second goal of the season, and I started that game, so to get the first goal meant a lot,” Van Rossen said. “My team was screaming from the bench and ran to give me a hug after.”

Captain Caitlin Rionda ’20 was a huge help to her team in scoring a hat a. Rionda said it was exciting and really fun to win. 

“We’ve been pretty successful in most of our games,” Rionda said. “We’ve been playing a lot of tough teams so to have this win was really good.”

According to head coach Jessie Rouleau, the game was a great opportunity to give players who had never had the opportunity to play a starting position a chance to do so, and it worked out in their favor. 

“I was happy that we got to play a whole first half with people who don’t usually get a lot of playing time and then the second half was with our starting lineup,” Rouleau said. “We scored four more goals.  It was a good confidence-builder going into our playoffs.”

Rionda said that she feels the team has greatly improved since the beginning of the season. 

“I think in the beginning we were all very nervous and kind of all over the place and didn’t really know what we were doing,” Rionda said. “Once we became better friends and had more chemistry as a team, we were able to play a lot better on the field.”

According to Van Rossen, the team strongly values and executes proper teamwork, which makes it easier to communicate on the field and make goals.

“I think we’re really good at working together as a team,” Van Rossen said. “We don’t have one super, stand out girl.  We all just come together and play for fun, but also to win.”

So far this year, the team’s record is 6-4-3. According to Rouleau, the team has been working hard to better their record. 

“I’ve seen them improve everyday,” Rouleau said. “They have worked so hard to learn new skills, to work together, to encourage together and to take on any challenge I’ve given them so I’ve been really happy with that.”