Why the proposed gas tax will benefit the state

Jackson Jogan '21, Page Editor

A recently proposed gas tax increase would raise the cost of gas in Michigan by 45 cents by fall 2020. It would raise an estimated 2.1 billion dollars which would be funneled back into the restoration of our roads. According to the Traveler Redress Inquiry Program, Michigan drivers pay an estimated 686 dollars per year on vehicular maintenance.

This tax would be beneficial to the general driving public in Michigan. It’s no secret that our roads are awful. There clearly needs to be change and this seems to be a great way to create that change.

Discussions concerning the roads have dragged on far too long.Now that there is a smart proposal being discussed, time to move on it. There are downsides, but I see great potential value.

I understand gas is already expensive, but I will comment that recently, the price has been dropping steadily. Now that the US is a net producer of oil, we rely less heavily on foreign oil. This means we can produce our own gas and regulate our costs to be affordable. With steadily lower prices, now is the time to act on a tax increase that will benefit all drivers.

This is a smart tax because it only affects those who want to use what is being taxed. Those who aren’t driving don’t have to worry about the increase, unlike many other taxes that have been raised to better our roads. This opens up many opportunities for better functioning roads, which will in turn help our environment in different ways.

Rather than taxing everyone for a service that not everyone uses, this is a moderate tax that affects the consumers. Unlike public transportation taxes and other similar ideas, this doesn’t apply to every taxpayer. It is smartly applied to a product that enables people to drive, which in turns wears down our roads. Rather than getting nothing out of it, we will be able to sustain better road conditions.

People will be incentivized to carpool to work and other events. This has a great impact on the already changing global environment, as carbon emissions could drastically decrease. People may also turn to bikes, and other similar transportation that is healthier and also better for our country’s environment.

The proposal says that the first 15-cent increase is planned to take effect Oct. 1, followed by the second 15-cent hike planned for April 1, 2020, and the third scheduled to take place Oct. 1, 2020. This means the proposal is a gradual change that doesn’t overwhelm.

Overall this tax would be beneficial for the state as a whole, and for those who drive. It will raise good money, and it will help fix our terrible road problem. It’s moderate and a great proposal that should receive heavy support.

Check out another article that is anti-gas tax: https://thetowerpulse.net/30436/featured-content/my-view-why-the-proposed-gas-tax-will-hurt-students/