Working out is one of many stress-reducing strategies for students

Exercising+releases+healthy+endorphins.+

Graphic by Eva McCord '21

Exercising releases healthy endorphins.

Grace Reyes '19, Pulse Editor-in-Chief

Balancing work and other extracurricular high school activities can be overwhelming. Finding a healthy coping strategy to battle stress can be a great outlet for busy students. Working out is one of many ways to reduce stress, according to South’s school psychologist, Lisa Khoury.

Carly Orhan ’19 sails during the warm months. When she is stressed during the winter, she works out with her friends.

“When you’re stressed, you really want to say something but I find it hard to find the words,” Orhan said. “It helps to work out because it’s like you’re screaming,” Orhan said.

Orhan sail a lot of her stress comes from her busy school schedule and workload.

According to helpguide.org, exercising regularly can lead to more energy throughout the day, better sleep patterns, having sharper memories and feeling more positive, all of which can be beneficial in the classroom.

Whether it’s school or the world of work, people are stuck in places for longer periods of time and want to get outside and get fresh air. It all relates to physical and mental health,” cross country and track coach Stephen Zaranek said.

According to Zaranek, there must be a good balance between work and working out so one doesn’t overdo themselves.

“I always encourage people to exercise even if it’s just walking the dog. It relieves stress by working out your muscles and helps with that endorphin rush if you work out aerobically,” Khoury said. “It secretes those healthy endorphins into your brain and becomes a natural stress reducer.”

According to Khoury, balance is key. Working out helps control weight and sometimes coping strategies involve comfort food, so, combining the two in portion creates balance.

“After you workout, you’re just too tired to really even think about anything else and really helps me when I’m stressed,” said Orhan.