Mr. Blue Devil continues charity week tradition

Photo courtesy of Chris Poleski ’19

Olivia Mlynarek '19, Web Manager

In the auditorium on  Tuesday, Jan. 29 at 7:00 p.m.,  nine candidates from the senior class will take the stage as they compete to be crowned as “Mr. Blue Devil”.

Mr. Blue Devil has become a tradition where the boys from the current senior class display their talents and skills in a series of silly games as they entertain and impress the school.

“It’s a lot of fun,” committee chair of Mr. Blue Devil Chris Poleski ’19 said. t was originally started because we didn’t have a homecoming king, so this was more of a way for the senior guys to  be showed off. ”

According to Poleski, all the proceeds from this event will be donated to Operation Backpack, an organization that supplies children in need with school supplies.

“ We decided to have (Mr. Blue Devil) during charity week because Mr. Blue Devil is a really great fundraiser,” Poleski said. “We normally donate the proceeds to charity, so now we’re just putting the event  in charity week to help with Operation Backpack.”

Tim Degrand ’19 is one of the nine participants running for Mr. Blue Devil and said he’s excited to have the opportunity to show off his funny and charismatic personality.

“I’ve always loved doing stuff like this,” Degrand said. “Being in front of people, making a fool of myself is fun.”

According to Poleski, all the candidates participate in the event to have fun and show their school spirit.

“Our committee forms a list of guys from different friend groups in the senior class and then we go around asking people,” Poleski said. “A lot of people say no, but we just keep asking until we have enough contestants.”

Noah Eckert ’19, another contestant participating in the event is looking forward to showing off his skills.

“I’m excited for the talent portion because I’m playing a saxophone piece I think everyone will enjoy,” Eckert said.

Poleski said he’s looking forward to seeing how the event comes together after all the preparation to making it possible.

“I’m most excited to see how well the event turns out because we’ve all been working really hard and the guys have been practicing.  I think it’s just going to be a lot of fun” Poleski said.

Eckert encourages all south students, not just seniors, to come and show their school spirit.

“People should come because overall the event is gonna be very funny and great entertainment for everyone” Eckert ‘19 said.