Senior athletes take the next step

Navya Chamiraju '20, Copy Editor

No matter what sport it is, hard work and dedication are what make an excellent athlete, according to Charlotte Brecht ’19.

Being an athlete is a full-time job in college, but according to Camryn Teranes ’19, the opportunities and experience are worth it.

“I went into the sport knowing about the scholarship opportunities, so it’s something I was always considering,” Teranes said. “This past year, I decided I wanted to continue rowing in college.”

The dedication and time commitment alone can make an athlete want to succeed and reach the highest position according to Brecht.

“Since I started playing during middle school, I would just go play outside of practice like in my backyard,” Brecht said. “I’m one of those people that doesn’t want to stop until I reach my full potential and be the best I can be. College is the highest (and best) level to me. I’m competitive and I have high expectations of myself, so I’ve always wanted to get really good.”

Athletic Director Chris Booth said there is more to being a college athlete than passion, they need to be the best of the best.

“(The athlete needs to be) bigger, stronger, faster than the other kids in their age group,” Booth said.

Recently, it has become easier for college to recruit athletes because of the internet according to Booth.

“If you’re good enough, colleges are going to want to come and see you play,” Booth said.

Brecht said that she would rather immerse herself into one activity, such as volleyball, instead of being a jack of all trades.

“I’ve always had such a passion for volleyball,” Brecht said. “Once I started to love it, I put all my energy towards it. I’m hoping to (keep playing volleyball all 4 years of college).”

The toll of being a college athlete is very prominent in students according to Booth.

“Not everyone understands that being a college athlete is a full-time job,” Booth said. “You don’t get paid to do it. Just being a student in college can be overwhelming at times but (being an athlete is) a full-time job.”

However, both Teranes and Brecht cannot imagine a life without their prospective sport, according to Teranes.

“I have played year-round volleyball all four years of high school,” Brecht said. “At this point, I can’t imagine my life without it. It’s always been such a high priority in my life– everything is surrounded around it. I don’t think I could stop playing it even if I wanted to.”