The Tower celebrates 90 years with bash

Margot Baer '18, Staff Writer

This coming spring, The Tower will host a party to celebrate 90 years of publication. The party  will take place on March 23 at the Blossom Heath Inn in St. Clair Shores, with tickets priced at $100.

“The 90th issue party was an idea that we had in order to celebrate 90 years of Tower and also to come up with some fundraising for the future years in printing The Tower,” Tower adviser Kaitlin Edgerton said. “It is black tie optional and there will be a silent auction as well.”

The Co-Editors-in-Chief Elizabeth Bigham ’18 and John Francis ’18 shared their excitement about the party describing the event.

“I think we are all very excited about this event and to have a lot of people throughout the community come together and celebrate The Tower,” Bigham said. “We have worked so hard on it this year and every year in the past, so it will be nice to have everyone come together and celebrate it.”  

Bigham hopes the community will come together to help raise funds and show their support for the paper.

“All students are working to get sponsorships and to get companies throughout the community involved, and they’re going to be donating items,” Bigham said. “We have packages for different levels of sponsorships, so we are hoping to raise a lot of money through that.”

According to Francis, the guest of honor at the party will be  former advisor Bob Button, who is traveling in from Indiana.

“(Button) was one of the first great advisors of the paper that made it what it is, and I think it’s exciting for all of us to be able to celebrate the paper,” Francis said. “It’s not often that you get to see a weekly paper that’s almost a century year old.”

Hopes for the 90th issue party are high and Edgerton, Bigham and Francis are excited to celebrate their hard work and almost a century of The Tower newspaper.

Tickets for the event can be purchased HERE.