The NHS ‘Fleece and Thank You’ event wraps up for children in need

Photo courtesy of Creative Commons

NHS students will be making fleece blankets on November 6 to benefit children in hospitals around Michigan.

Evie Kuhnlein, Staff Writer

The National Honors Society plans to accumulate service hours through making blankets for children in the hospital this fall, according to Lisa Kline, NHS advisor.

“We’re working with an organization called Fleece and Thank You. They are a separate charity not affiliated with Grosse Pointe, but they provide kids around Michigan that are in the hospital with fleece blankets,” Kline said.

The students will be split up into small groups. The organization provides kits for each group that include scissors and fleece in ranging patterns and colors, Kline said.

“After making them, the groups also make a video around 45 seconds long that is sent to the children in addition to the blankets,” NHS Treasurer Daniel Garan ‘18 said.

NHS made just over 20 blankets last year, according to Kline. This year it will be mandatory for all members and they hope to make over 100 blankets.

“It is a really great bonding event,” NHS member Julia Turnbull ‘18 said. “You can’t be on your phone while making the blankets since your hands are full. It’s definitely nice to disconnect and spend a few hours talking with your friends about school or college while creating something special for a really cool cause.”

The event will be held in the cafeteria after NHS’s November meeting on Monday, November 6th, according to Garan. It shouldn’t take longer than two hours to cut and tie the blankets.

“We enjoy it a lot, it’s a fun project and we get to make something for the kids that will brighten their day up,” Garan said. “It really is wonderful.”