Veterans’ soccer game honors those who served

Dominic Dulac

Grosse Pointe South played North at the Veterans Game on October 11. The Norsemen won 4-1.

Harper McClellan, Staff Writer

The Veterans’ varsity soccer game will be held at South, with the veterans’ ceremony starting at 7 pm.

“North and South team together and alternate hosting some sort of military appreciation night every year,” John Moran, a parent organizer said.

The two teams participate in a ceremony to honor the veterans before the game.

“In the beginning of the game each soccer player is paired with a veteran that has served in a war, and we walk out on the field with them,” varsity soccer captain Griffin Clevenger ’19 said.

According to Moran, a number of veterans who are contacted through BMW and American Legion come to the game, as well of veterans in the Grosse Pointe South and North communities.

“We are definitely grateful for their service and we thank them for their sacrifices and all the hard work they put out for us,” varsity soccer captain, Anthony Frasier ’18 said.

The ceremony before the game will recognize the veterans.

“After the veterans walk onto the field, we have students sing the the national anthem,” Moran said. “This year we have certain members of the South choir that are going to sing the national anthem, we have a bagpiper, then [the bagpiper] plays amazing grace. Then a announcer will say some words about the military and thank them for what the are doing, and a little about the proceeds we donate.”

The proceeds, which go to a veteran’s charity, are funded by concessions sales, tee shirt sales, and donors.

Not only is South honoring those who have served, they also are donating the proceeds to assist them.

“We select a particular military charity or a veterans charity each year,” Moran said. “This year we talked to the Grosse Pointe War Memorial and one of their initiatives is called the Patriot Initiative Fund; they raise money for veterans and service people.”

Not only will the South soccer team be honoring veterans, they will also be trying to beat North after their previous loss to them this year.

“I just love walking out there with them; I get a sense of pride knowing that these people have fought for their freedom and now it’s time to fight North for this win,” said Clevenger.