Winter Date Spots: where to snuggle up this winter

Winter yields more options for dates than meets the eye. South students think that Grosse Pointe and Detroit offer plenty of fun places to spend the day with your boyfriend or girlfriend.

Picture by jill111 on Pixabay is licensed under Creative Commons CC0 (public domain).

Mac Welsher '17, Staff Writer

As winter comes around, couples at South are forced to improvise and create new ways to go on dates because of the weather change.  Although, the weather change could actually be an asset rather than a liability for some.

“I like dates in the winter because it forces my boyfriend and I to go out to dinner more,” Kayla Conlan ‘17 said. “We enjoy going to places like Andiamos, California Pizza Kitchen and Social Punch Bowl.”

In comparison, others like the idea of staying indoors with their date, but not spending money in the process.

“We usually like to stay in, make dinner and watch a movie.  It’s more comfortable and way cheaper than going to the movie theater,” Jacob Brauer ‘17 said.

More students agree with the concept of just staying indoors and not bothering with the cold weather.

“I prefer a simpler date, just staying inside and watching a movie or show on Netflix and On Demand with some hot cocoa,” Lexi Kohut ‘17 said.

Even though some couples like staying home and watching a nice movie, going to the movie theater is a popular indoor winter date as well.

“I like going to movies, because of the great options of theaters not far from Grosse Pointe: Star Gratiot (Clinton Township), MJR (Sterling Heights), and Emagine (Royal Oak),” Jack Liagre ‘17 said. “The big screens, the recliner chairs and the food make the movie experience really enjoyable.”

However, some South students could enjoy spending money with their date, at various places, but stay indoors.

“During the winter for dates, I like to go shopping at the mall because it’s fun to discuss clothes and other accessories with my boyfriend,” Hannah Lynch ‘17 said. “We also spend more time dressing up and eating out at nice restaurant, or go to a play or musical.”

Not only can students go to malls like Somerset or restaurants for dinner, but according to Rob Burton ‘17 they can go to sporting events.

“I like to take my girlfriend to Red Wings games all time and maybe a Lions game if they make the playoffs, because it’s fun being a Detroit sporting events and talking to my date the whole time,” Burton said.

Despite all the indoor date possibilities, outdoor dates can be exciting for couples wanting to experience the Michigan weather.

“We’re going to the Wild Lights at the Detroit Zoo because it’s something fun to do outside of Grosse Pointe,” Abby Ottenhoff ‘17 said.  “We both like Christmas lights, and it puts you in the Christmas spirit.”

Also, downtown at Campus Martius, South couples can go ice skating.

“Going ice skating downtown is awesome because it’s something different, and it’s amusing because a lot of people don’t know how to skate,” Addison Enders ‘17 said.  “Also you can go out to dinner after with all the restaurants downtown.” All things considered, couples looking for new ways to go out with their date during the winter have many more options than they think.