Three students win Birdsong Spirit Award

Photo by Grosse Pointe News | Birdsong Spirit Award winners Maggie Stafford and Ryand Poirier '12 and honorable mention winner Nicole Keller '13 pose for a photo with Bea Birdsong.

COLLEEN MARTIN ’12 | Staff Writer

Due to great proficiency in their application essays, three winners were chosen for the Birdsong Spirit Award, two winners and one honorable mention, according to South’s financial adviser Beatrice Birdsong.

Winners Maggie Stafford and Ryan Poirier both ’12, and honorable mention winner Nicole Keller ’13, submitted essays in January to apply for the community service award donated by Birdsong.

“The top three (essays) were just so good, I could not decide,” said Birdsong. “I even showed them to my husband and he said he was glad he did not have to make the final decision.”

Showing dedication to their community service, these students answered the essay questions really well, Birdsong said. Other applicants did not answer the questions or did not demonstrate the same degree of commitment to their work.

“The passion at which they approached the volunteer opportunity showed they really cared about the service they chose,” said Birdsong. “I really got to know the students.”

Stafford wrote about her community service experience at a non-profit organization, Ballet Renaissance in Detroit, where she has worked as an assistant teacher for the last two years.

“(I won the award) for my community service experience I wrote an essay about, what I have done and how it has impacted me,” said Stafford. “I’m really thankful, it was a kind thing to do, it’s very meaningful to the students.”

The other winner of the $250 prize was Ryan Poirier, who volunteers at Beaumont Hospital.

“I volunteer in the hospital and have worked in over 20 departments; they create jobs for me to do there,” said Poirier. “I’m incredibly grateful to Mrs. Birdsong.”

Keller, winner of the $100 honorable mention, volunteers by painting at a library in the Metro Detroit area.

Happy with the entire experience, Birdsong intends to continue the spirit award next year and she encourages more students to apply then.

“If I’m going to give away money, I might as well have a good time doing it!” said Birdsong.