Life through a lens

I know it’s cliché, but I see the world through a different lens. Having a camera between me and most people changed the way I view them. I’ve spent countless hours making memories on the field taking flicks of players and fans. I’ve made some of my most cherished memories behind one of The Tower’s cameras.
Last year, I was assigned to document the North-South game. This was my first time on the field during a football game and I was obviously nervous. I was shy and docile, scared to get in anyone’s way. As the game continued, I started to peek out of my shell, asking players to pose and getting moody crowd shots. What I first thought was going to be a chore ended as an amazing night.
That night, I kept some confetti as a souvenir so I will never forget it. I spent the whole game on the field, and while it lasted hours, it felt like seconds. By the end, I was exhausted and left with a head full of memories and an equally full SD card. Sports games, while exciting, aren’t my favorite of my Tower endeavors.
My favorite experiences have been taking pictures for stories. I covered a story about the UAW, a local union that my father happened to work for. He took me to the main picket line and I got to experience what striking was like firsthand. At the strike, I saw professional news stations trying to get interviews out of the picketers and failing. When I approached them with my dad, wearing his UAW jacket, they were ecstatic to talk to me and pose for the camera. I saw and spoke to factory workers with lives completely different than mine. Seeing their perspective really showed me the root of their pain and struggle.
After this, my worldview was shifted. On the car ride home, my dad told me stories about his life growing up on the picket line and his few trips to jail. After that, I saw a different side of labor, journalism and life.
Being on Tower has opened my eyes to the potential of having a great high school experience. I’ve made some of my closest friends through what I first thought was just a good college resume class. I’ve spent 812 hours in the Tower room, 812 hours writing stories, sending emails and joking around which I will never regret.