New Year, new music

Justin Timberlake’s “Selfish”

Justin Timberlake released his new hit song “Selfish” on Jan. 25, 2024. The popstar released his single along with the announcement of a new music album “Everything I Thought It Was” dropping on March 15th. Timberlake has released other hit songs in the past, including “Can’t Stop The Feeling”, and “Mirrors” and headlined the Super Bowl LII halftime show. “Selfish” explores the complex and intense emotions that come with love, possessiveness and the internal struggles within a romantic relationship. The lyrics depict a mix of deep affection, vulnerability and the challenges of managing intense emotions.

Benson Boone’s “Beautiful Things”

Benson Boone released his new hit single “Beautiful Things” this month. The upcoming American songwriter has been releasing music on TikToksince 2021 and auditioned for American Idol. His talent was seen by Imagine Dragons frontman Dan Reynolds, who signed him to his record label Night Street Records. Benson grew up in Monroe, Washington, and he first discovered his talent when a friend of his asked him to play piano in a Battle of the Bands competition during his junior year, even though he had no prior experience of singing. The song is about appreciating the good moments in life while they last and continuing to hope that they stay. The tone within the song shows a mixture of joy, gratitude and anxiety about what life might bring.

Mitski’s “My Love Mine All Mine”

“My Love Mine All Mine” was a single released by American Songwriter Mitsuki Laycock. Mitsuki was born on Sept. 27,1990 in Mie Prefecture, Japan. She moved a lot growing up due to her father switching between jobs in several countries including Turkey, China, Malaysia, the Czech Republic and the Democratic Republic of the Congo. She sang in choir at her high school and first started writing songs on the piano when she was living in Ankara, Turkey. The lyrics of the song seem to convey a deep and personal connection to the moon and a desire for love to endure beyond the writer’s lifetime. Mitski reflects on the moon as a source of light and wonders if they could somehow send their heart to it. The moon is portrayed as a celestial entity that has witnessed events “here before and after me.”