A fresh start for parents

As the first semester comes to a close, the beginning of the next school year begins to creep around the corner. For parents of incoming freshmen, this ultimate ‘next-step’ can be quite daunting. In order to inform parents of the various steps to be taken to ensure a wonderful start to high-school and show them the wonderful programs South offers, “Incoming Freshmen Parent Night” is hosted annually. This year, it was held on Jan.10 in South’s auditorium.

“Parents always have some really specific things they’re looking for, like what kind of a math program [South] has, what advanced placement classes [South] offers, whereas students are primarily looking for a good social fit,” Assistant Principal Joe Spryszak said.

Throughout the presentation, a cluster of people from various organizations and committees at South gave presentations, telling parents about the plethora of opportunities and chances for involvement students have.

“The main goals are to let everybody know about what a great school we have, and it’s reflected by each of the speakers talking about something that they add to the school and the programs,” Spryszak said.

When presentations conclude, parents are then encouraged to go speak to department chairs so they can learn more about the academic programs South offers.

“[My favorite part is] when afterward, the parents are encouraged to speak to department chairs and see the different classes we offer to make sure we can answer any questions the parents have.” Spryzsak said.

Overall, the night assured parents of the next steps required in order to get ready for the coming years in the brand new environment that is high school. For the parent of incoming freshman Mike Brennan, this was a valuable part of the evening.

“We’ll be able to relay the information and get [our student] prepared,” Brennan said.