Shooting for success

This past Tuesday, Grosse Pointe South’s main gym housed the boys’ freshman basketball team and Chippewa Valley’s boy’s freshman team in a neck and neck game. The game went back and forth between the two evenly matched teams on Dec. 19. The South boys fought hard but in the end were a few points short of the win.

Both teams made some incredible plays both offensively and defensively and ended the game with a 48-41 score. Although the South boys fell short of the win, the game was a close one and their record remains 6-2.

The game was led by some standout players on the court including starter Ted Kuras ’27. Kuras said with the amount of pressure applied by the Chippewa team, the game became a challenging one.

“It was a really good team,” Kuras said. “We should have handled the full-court press better.”

Playing alongside Kuras was starting player Jayden Jelinski ’27. Jelinski agreed that the team had some difficulty handling the press, however he also thought that their offense remained pretty strong. Both players agree that moving forward the team will remain optimistic as they enter their upcoming games.

“After this game, I think we are going to be more determined to get the win in our next game and play better,” Jelinski said.

Fans watching the freshmen’s games bring with them a positive, high energy which can be heard throughout the stands during the game. Avid fan Louise Davey said she gets excited each game to see the boys work hard and prevail.

“What’s unique that I love about the freshman team is you get to see the most growth over one season as opposed to the JV and Varsity team,” Davey said. “I love being able to see them from the beginning of the season and the way that they grow in strategy, working as a team, and just overall”.