Neck and neck

Boys south hockey team ties game against Cranbrook

This past Thursday, Eastside Hockey Arena was home to a neck and neck game between the boys GPS Blue Devils and the Cranbrook Canes. The game went into overtime as the teams battled for the win on Dec.7. Both South’s defense and offense gave it their all as they continued to come back and tie the game.

Five minutes into the game, Cranbrook came out strong and scored the first goal. Towards the end of the first period South began putting intense pressure on Cranbrook. South started the second period just as strong as they ended the first, resulting in a goal 45 seconds into the period by assistant captain Anderson Tigges ’24.

The team was off to a rocky start of the season, however, they are only looking ahead and working those kinks out Tigges said.

A minute later, Cranbrook scored another goal to take the lead once again. With less than 10 minutes left in the second period, junior Evan Bernard put a point on the board to tie the game yet again.

Captain George Knowlton ’24 has been out for the past two weeks due to a broken collarbone caused in a previous game. While he has been unable to play he has continued to support this team through wins and losses.

“We had a tough game against Brother Rice, but this was a good game to bounce back from,” Knowlton said. “We would like to get a win after a tough loss, but a tie doesn’t hurt anyone.”

Towards the end of the second period, the Blue Devils came back strong, controlling the puck in front of Cranbrook’s goal taking shot after shot. With two minutes left of the second period Cranbrook one upped south and scored. Making the score 3-2 Cranbrook. Goalie Liam Duffy ’24 refused to back down even when Cranbrook was attacking fiercely.

South refused to back down and with three minutes left in the game, Everett Kielt ’24 scored to tie the game 3-3.

An avid fan of the GPS boys varsity hockey team, Claire Vandewyngearde ’24, was present at the game and gave her input on how the team played as they made their way into overtime.

“It was definitely a really close game,” Vandewyngearde said. “They went into overtime and unfortunately tied, but it was really fun to watch.”

Throughout the eight minutes of overtime, the game remained neck and neck, no further goals were made, making the final score 3-3.

Both Tigges and Knowlton acknowledge Hayden Crane ’24 as a stand out player who left it all on the ice.

“Hayden’s been working really hard and had an all-around great game today,” Knowlton said.