Christmas cheer for all to hear

What better way to celebrate the holiday season than joining family to listen to the cute, angelic voices of your siblings, children, grandchildren and friends at the Brownell Holiday Choir Concert? The concert was hosted on Dec. 13 and all the students were prepared to spread the joy of the holidays. All grades participated, with each grade excelling in skill.

The fifth graders gave it a great start with their songs: Scales and Arpeggios, White Christmas and My Favorite Things. Hearing the tiny voices of the children brought a smile to everyone’s face in the crowd, especially Kate Rondini. Rondini is a mother to Gianna Rondini, a fifth grader in choir. She said that she was especially excited for this concert because last year she was only able to experience a concert in the spring, so she is looking forward to this holiday celebration.

“It’s so cute, they (the Brownell students) are so cute,” Rondidni said. “Especially since it’s Christmas, so we all know some of the songs.”

The small ensemble approached the stage next with a beautiful, unique Christmas song, Night of Silence. Then followed the sixth graders who provided an excellent performance using glowing snowballs to depict falling snow during their song, Japanese Snow Song. After that eye-catching act, the mixed seventh and eighth-grade choir proved to the audience their incredible skill and talent. To end it all, each grade united on stage to sing the theme song from the beloved movie, “Elf”.

One of the members, Alexandra Walcsy ’28, said that they have been preparing for this concert since September. At first, she explained it was hard to memorize all of the songs, but it got easier and easier each time she practiced. This is her last Christmas concert at Brownell, before entering a new chapter in high school next year.

“It’s kind of sad,” Walcsy said. “I mean, I didn’t do one (Christmas concert) in fifth grade, but I really like doing concerts.”