Holiday havoc

The holidays are here. Rushing to find the perfect gifts for loved ones is a prominent process in these gift-giving times. Thankfully, there are endless local shops and stores to choose from to create the magic of gift-giving.

Lucy Gabel ’25

Among the endless shops is a more well-known one, The Campus Shop. This store offers high-quality clothing items that highlight the community. For example, there are shirts with “313” on them, signifying our area code,; as well as shirts that read, “Meet me at Jerry’s”, allowing Grosse Pointers to reminisce about the weekly bike rides in the summer, awaiting the ice cold reward of a slurpee from Jerry’s. There are also plain simply printed “Grosse Pointe” sweatshirts, sweatpants, vests, hats, yoga pants, etc. During the holidays, this store offers a 20 percent discount as well as the regular clearance rack. The variety of items offered at The Campus Shop can be the perfect gift for anyone who lives in this community and wants to represent it.

Right next door to The Campus Shop is another small business, Small Favors.

Lucy Gabel ’25

Every small gift you can think of will be offered at this store. From candles and blankets to home decor, clothes, and accessories, Small Favors has everything for everyone. As soon as you enter the store, a wave of a calming aroma hits you as the holiday decorations overwhelm your sight, creating the magic of gift shopping. There are options for children as well as endless options for adults. Stuffed animals, games, toys, and stress balls are all offered at Small Favors. If you are looking for a simple gift that is easy to please, Small Favors is filled with them.

Lucy Gabel ’25

For a less traditional gift, the store Wool and Floss is a place to visit. This store focuses on needlepoint sewing, a process where you feed the thread through a mesh canvas to create a print that can be turned into ornaments, bookmarkers, and signs as well as put on pillows, bags, and rugs. Customers are expected to pick out a canvas and sew it themselves, while the store turns that print into anything imaginable. You can purchase any print you would like for your canvas, there is such a massive variety of prints offered in the store, that it will be no struggle to find the one you want. There is even a Taylor Swift print. They offer a monthly needlepoint class, which can be the perfect and unique experience for family and friends.