Champs again

South girls swim wins their 24th consecutive MAC Red Championship

From the second they step in the water, to when the announcer calls the results of the competition, it is pure dominance from the Blue Devil Swim team. After an outstanding regular season, the Varsity Girls Swim team remains MAC Red champions for the 24th season in a row. The championship ends the season for those not playing at states.

In her second year on the team, Violet Lincicome ’26 said she improved as a swimmer by showing up every day and putting in her best effort. When winning for the first time in the 50-meter freestyle event, she knew all her hard work had paid off. Through the three-hour practices and relay days, she knows at the end of the day she is becoming physically and mentally stronger.

“I like swimming because it challenges me,” Lincicome said. “It makes me push myself to do and achieve something greater than what I’ve ever done before, like winning the MAC (red) championship.”

Andia Nazarko ’26 said she was not too worried going into the MAC championship as she was confident in the team’s ability to win. Leading up to the competition, she says the team was tapering at practice to prepare themselves to produce their best possible times. Along with physical preparation for the competition, she has looked to improve her sport mentally. She says she listens to music on the deck to get focused.

“I have been working on getting my mindset better,” Nazarko said. “I don’t want to be nervous or anything. I just want to go in and race.”

After swimming for seven years, Nazarko says swimming has also taught her lessons about life. Competition and the dedication put into it are why she loves the sport.

“I’ve learned how to be a hard worker and to work for what I want to achieve,” Nazarko said. “When you’re swimming, you are aiming for a certain goal-time, and you have to work up to it. This teaches you how to persevere and work to get what you want to accomplish, and not give up in the long process.”

This team has a tradition of winning, and Whitney Handwork ’26 says that adds fun, but pressure to continue bringing home victories. She says extending the MAC Red division championship streak to 24 is exhilarating and that it is a great way to end the season for those not in the state competition.

“(Competing) was a little nerve-wracking,” Handwork said. “I think the most fun part of (the championship) was watching all of my teammates succeed, especially if it was their last meet of the season.”

Going into the state competition, Handwork is feeling confident and focused on readying herself to get her best possible times. Last year, she placed 11th in the state individually, while the top 8 received ‘all-state’ honors. This year, she is determined to finish higher than last year.

“I want to build off last year and do better this time,” Handwork said. “I’m less nervous because I’ve been there before, so I know what to expect going in.”