Superintendent search seeks student input

As the Grosse Pointe Public School System continues their search for a new Superintendent after the resignation of Jon Dean, the School Board has been striving to include the community in as many ways as possible. This was on display on Oct. 26 in Cleminson Hall when various different student leaders were called in for a listening session to advise the board of what they hope to see in the new Superintendent.

The meeting was led by Assistant Director of Executive Search Services at the Michigan Association of School Boards Jay Bennett. Through a question and answer discussion Bennett opened the meeting for students to share what they admired within the school board and what they disliked.

“I want to make sure the decision made is best for the students,” Bennett said. “We don’t know their concerns unless we talk to them.”

Among students who shared traits they hope to see highlighted in the new superintendent was Savannah Spangler ’25.

“You don’t want to have a superintendent no one likes,” Spangler said. “Someone who is able to take criticism.”

Overall, the event allowed for students to express their discontent with the state of the school system, while knowing that their opinions are being directly taken into consideration. Though the meeting was called by invitations, specifically for student leaders, Bennett encourages all interested students to take action.

“I would encourage you students to continue to be as involved in this process as possible,” Bennett said. “Make your voices heard.”

*Editors’ note: Quotes in this story were updated per the request of a source after publication.