Tough tutorial tutoring

Millie Gates ’24
Available tutoring often fill up quickly, making it difficult for students to attain their required hours quota for NHS.

The National Honors Society provides schools with a value-based framework to elevate a culture of scholarship, service, leadership and character. They do this by empowering, championing and recognizing well rounded students. Considering the circumstances, are their expectations for service and tutoring too high?

At Grosse Pointe South, the requirements for NHS is that students complete at least 18 hours of community service and 12 hours of tutoring. While we are given a whole semester to complete these 30 hours, some of the new circumstances have created a choke in some students’ ability to complete these guidelines.

The limited before school tutoring opportunities make it difficult for fall and winter student athletes, students in co-op and students with a busy afternoon to meet these requirements. NHS has endless after school tutoring opportunities with about ten morning slots a week. While these slots would be a great solution, the library tutoring sign up gets sent out every Sunday in the late afternoon where the slots can fill up within minutes.

While this was also a problem last year, tutorial tutoring opportunities were sent out early in the semester via schoology creating an easy solution for a lot of student athletes. The students were able to go to a teacher’s tutorial during their tutorial and assist any students who needed help. Without this, it has been difficult for students to get enough tutoring hours so far.

While NHS service and afterschool tutoring opportunities have greatly improved from previous years, the lack of morning tutoring slots and the absence of tutorial tutoring have led multiple students to struggle with meeting the requirements.