Force on the field

Girl’s field hockey faces off for regional playoffs

As the rain poured down at South stadium, the Lady Blue Devils took the field to compete against the Mercy Marlins in the regional playoffs. After a successful season, the team was eager to start the game with confidence and energy.

Starting their season in August the team has fought through more than 20 games and months of practice. Becoming a well functioning team has only been able to happen through this hard work. Sara Johnson ’24 and many of the players have been on the team for years, growing and strengthening their bonds each year.

“For the most part my last season has been super fun,” Johnson said. “But it’s sad to think this will be the last time I’m playing the sport with my teammates.”

With each game presenting a new challenge the rain added an additional obstacle to the match. Working together with each other the team was able to overcome the added pressure to uphold their tradition of success and sportsmanship.

“Last Thursday was definitely intense and was a little slippery on the field but we still pushed through it all and managed to take the win,” Johnson said.

Quickly scoring in the first quarter, the Lady Blue Devils quickly took control of the game. Scoring again in the second quarter, the team was able to hold off the Marlins in the first half. Ending the game just as strong, Grosse Pointe South won four to zero, moving on to the next round of the playoffs.

“The team is hopeful for more wins as playoffs continue,” Johnson said. “We want to use and show off as many skills that we have built as a team.”