Conquering class council elections

Aliana Ritter ’25
After another successful Wednesday morning meeting, the new Freshmen Class Officers gather for some last remarks before departing for the school day. (Left to right) Helen Haindl ’27, Avery Jakubowski ’27, Audrey Mclean ’27, and Lucas Curtis ’27.

On Oct. 15, the freshmen class officers were announced after two weeks of campaigning. The elected officials include President Helen Haindl, Vice President Lucas Curtis, Treasurer Audrey Mclean, and Secretary Avery Jakubowski all ’27. With students merging from multiple different middle schools, building a cohesive and tight-knit class council can be difficult at first. However, the 2027 Class Officers already share similar ideas.

Haindl said she worked to find the perfect balance with her campaign, relying on social media posts and subtle conversations with her peers. After holding the position of Vice President in Brownell’s NJHS chapter, Haindl said she decided to reach for a higher position. Valuing communication and participation, she is looking forward to making progress with her class.

“Student council means bringing the class together; to try and get everyone excited; to try to get everyone to get along with each other and raise money for our class,” Haindl said. “We’re not just peers, so that we can all be friends in a way.”

Vice President Lucas Curtis plays many roles in his school and community. After carefully choosing which position to run for, Curtis said he prioritized talking to his classmates about his campaign. He said he values his position as Senior Patrol Leader for his Boy Scout Troops where he leads to benefit others, similar to his goal in Student Council.

“I bring servant leadership, which is putting other people’s needs before your own,” Curtis said. “I choose to lead so everybody can be the best person they can and to get everybody closer together, to be the person to rise above, and to help everybody achieve their goals.”

Over the years, different student councils can vary in personality and engagement. From as many as 60 consistent members to as little as six, from bake sales to large events, from learners to experts, Freshmen class advisor Katie Parent has seen it all.

“So far I’ve been really, really impressed with their level of involvement,” Parent said. “In June when we had our initial meeting, there were so many kids that came. (There are) a lot of different people coming to the float parties and people coming to the meetings now. Just based on the level of involvement that I’ve seen so far, I expect that this is going to be a group that is highly involved.”