Head start to Halloween

Trick-or-Treaters+during+the+2022+village+halloween+party.+
Isabella Haindl ’24
Trick-or-Treaters during the 2022 village halloween party.

For those eager to get a headstart on Halloween, The Village’s trick-or-treat event is the place to be. On Oct. 31 from 3:30 PM to 4:45 PM, The Village will have Kercheval Avenue blocked off for trick-or-treaters.

Trick-or-treating, for most older kids, starts around 6 p.m. and goes late into the night. The Village’s event provides the opportunity for young children to experience the fun of Halloween while still arriving home in time for bed. Parents won’t have to worry about losing their child in the neighborhood, as all candy will be handed out on the main street of The Village.

The City of Grosse Pointe hosts this annual event, allowing kids to go door-to-door to all the businesses located in the village. Shop owners set up in front of their stores and hand out candy to trick-or-treaters. Kids are encouraged to come dressed in their best costumes, with bags waiting to be filled with candy. This is a free event hosted by the City’s Downtown Development Authority and Parks and Recreation Department, both parents and trick-or-treaters are welcome.

Village business owners such as Lanna Young, owner of Savvy Chic, are excited to see all trick-or-treater’s costumes and happy faces. Young has made sure to be well-prepared for this event by purchasing several bags of candy.

“My favorite part is seeing the smiles of the kids and their adorable costumes,” Young said. “We’ll be covered this year—we’ve bought a ton of candy to pass out.”