Capturing good deeds

Photography transforms into a service hour opportunity
Katie Hamilton ’24
The National Honor Society service sheet represents the dedication of outstanding students to community service and leadership showcasing their commitment to making a positive impact on society.

National Honor Society advisor Katie Barbour and Viewpointe advisor John Cilluffo are extending a service opportunity to NHS members. In a continuation of last year’s policy, NHS members can obtain service hours by taking photos for the yearbook.

“I assumed if it was done last year, we could do it again this year,” Barbour said.

Students can earn an hour for every 30 photos they take, but they are capped at two hours. Cilluffo will be vetting the photos for quality. He said valuable photos capture action.

“Close-ups, an athlete’s face, jersey number and movement is good,” Cilluffo said. “We don’t want anything with running away from the camera or side view.”

According to Cilluffo, it’s easy to take multiple photos at a time with digital cameras. Still, Barbour said she doesn’t think the opportunity will attract many students.

“I don’t think that many people want to attend events to take photos, and you can only get a maximum of two hours anyway,” Barbour said.

However, Cilluffo said one student has already taken advantage of the offer by photographing the girls’ swim team.

“He got the service hours, and we got some photos to help us out with girls’ swim,” Cilluffo said. “It’s a win-win for both of us.”