The perfect day, falling into place

Ofrendas at Detroit Institute of Arts

The Ancestors and Cultural Roots display one of many gorgeous Ofrendas at the DIA. Photo credit – Ancestors and Cultural Roots by Coco Sweezy in Ofrendas: Celebrating el Día de Muertos 2021. ( Ancestors and Cultural Roots by Coco Sweezy in Ofrendas: Celebrating el Día de Muertos 2021)

When heading to Downtown Detroit, check out the Detroit institute of Arts (DIA) for the annual Ofrendas exhibit. This classic hit at the DIA has been a yearly tradition for the last eleven Dias de la Muerte, or Days of the Dead. In collaboration with the Consulate of Mexico in Detroit, the Southwest Detroit Business Association and Mexicantown CDC, the showcase is sure to bring visitors back year after year. Designed to showcase local artists, the Ofrendas exhibit has become one of the most popular installations at the DIA in the past few years. The vibrant colors build a sense of community to reflect on the lives of loved ones who are no longer with us all while honoring the Mexican tradition of Day of the Dead. Admission to the exhibit is free with general admission and will run from Sept. 23 – Nov. 5, 2023.

Ford Hour Tea

The lakeshore room at the Edsel and Eleanor ford house offers a cozy intimate environment for after the Fall tea and tour last October. (Mary Ann Bauman, Manager of Engagement and Public Events )

Nothing like a warm welcome to fall quite like a tea party. Join the Edsel and Elenor Ford House for a Fall Tea and Tour on Oct. 22. Guests will enjoy a full fall tea service in the newly-built Lakeshore Room overlooking Lake Saint Clair. Then, stroll through the historical home at your own pace and enjoy the views from each room. Be sure to take time to look at the lake and the ever-changing colors of the trees. Make a day out of it and dress up with friends and family. Tickets are available online at fordhouse.org.

Cider Mill

Enjoy refreshing Black apple cider and cider mill donuts from BakeHouse 56. (Madison Turnbull ’24)

Fall wouldn’t be complete without cider mill donuts and cider. Take a trip to Bakehouse 46 in The Village for delicious sweet treats baked in-house or from Blake’s Orchard and Cider Mill. With a seasonal menu catered to fit anyone’s taste buds, you’re certain to find the perfect treat for your sweet tooth. Make an evening trip out of it: enjoy the haunted hayride, haunted house and spookyland at Blake’s. With ticket bundles available online and with three locations around Metro Detroit, look no further to have a spooky time.

Halloween movie night

Halloween movie night isn’t complete without cookies and Trader Joe’s Ghosts and bats crispy potato snacks. (Madison Turnbull ’24)

Cozy up with a blanket, bake cookies and grab some cider for a fall movie night. With dozens of streaming services and a variety of on-demand movies there is something for everyone. With Halloween classics like “Scream,” “Hocus Pocus,” “A Nightmare on Elm Street” and more. Enjoy new releases, including “No One Will See You,” “Bird Box Barcelona” and “Make Me Scream.” For an added bonus, invite friends over and carve pumpkins, make caramel apples and other fall treats all from the comfort of your home.