Tutorial becoming less lenient

Sara Dimitrijevic ’25
Graham Van Rossen ’25 takes advantage of his tutorial to get his homework and studying done. “At the end of the day I can agree that students not attending their tutorial classes in the middle of the day would be problematic,” Van Rossen said. “But for tutorial hours for the first or last hour of the day, why can’t students just stay home?”

A tutorial class can be used for purposes such as studying for a test, or completing homework. However, it has come to the school’s attention that students use tutorials as a “free hour,” or as an excuse to leave school early. The school is now enforcing a new tutorial policy that is going into effect starting this year.

Assistant Principal Cindy Parravano informs us on how the policy is being enforced and how this can change the students’ dynamic in class rather than using tutorial as a free period.

“We’re getting us back to what was happening pre-COVID,” Parravano said. “During COVID we were more relaxed on the attendance policy and tutorial attendance but tutorials are intended to be a resource for students.”

Van Rossen would also agree that tutorial is a good time to utilize to complete assignments, but also feels that students are using them as an excuse to leave early or spend as a free period.

“When I’m in my tutorial I utilize my time very well and I get my work done quickly and easily,” Van Rossen said. “But when I’m done (with work) I start asking myself what now, or what can I do?”