Unveiling the legacy of the Spirit Jug

The start of every new year kicks off with the tradition of several homecoming festivities including the football game, the dance and, of course, Spirit Week.

Spirit Week will see each grade decorating the class rock, their banners, and the homecoming floats. But did you know that every grade that has won the Spirit competition for the last 40 years has their year enshrined on the Spirit Jug?

The Spirit Jugs displayed in the Student Government showcase across from the main office with all of the winning classes years on the Jug.
(Tatum Eschenburg ’25)

Started in 1983, the Spirit Jug sits in the Student Government showcase next to the main office and is awarded to the winning class of the homecoming spirit competition. The current Senior class is expected to win the competition given their years of experience, but hopefully not without a fight.

The winning classes from 1983 all the way to 2003 fill the Jug.

Teacher and Student Association Advisor Meg Pierce has only been a part of this tradition for a few years and it’s already one of her favorites.

“I think it’s fun when the Juniors give the Seniors a run for their money,” Pierce said.

Teachers and staff sign up to volunteer to judge the competition. The judges use a rubric to determine who wins based on the best homecoming float, class rock, posters inside the school and the class best dressed for their theme.

It’s unknown why the Jug doesn’t play a bigger role in Spirit Week outside of Student Government like it used to, which is why it’s not recognized by students as a part of the homecoming celebrations.

“When I came here to South, I didn’t know about it either and I only learned about it because I became a class advisor,” Pierce said. “I do think it’s something that we should highlight more this year and that’s something I’ve brought up.”