Chasing dreams and gold

The slim boat glided steadily across the water, oars splashing simultaneously in and out of the river, pushing its crew closer and closer to the finish line. Tensions were high, and with one last push, it was over.

For senior Carly Brown, rowing has always come naturally. Beginning freshman year of high school, Brown knew this was the sport for her. She began the sport at the Detroit Boat Club, surrounded by the support of her coaches and teammates.

“The community at the Boat Club was always so warm and welcoming, and the coaches did everything for our best interest,” Brown said.

While only rowing for a short while, Brown hasn’t let this stop her. She works very hard during practice as well as off-season to stay in shape and keep up her skills. In doing so, she found herself in contact with multiple college coaches who were interested in her amazing talent, and when the opportunity arose, Brown wasted no time.

“Being involved in a college sport has been a dream of mine since sixth grade, so I knew from the beginning that rowing at a college level was attainable,” Brown said.

Fellow crew member Avery Harris ’24 has rowed alongside Brown for almost four years now. Harris describes Brown as a competitive teammate, but in the best way possible. Brown is the team captain this year and only has the team’s best interest in mind.
“She knows how to work as a team player to create a well-working boat,” Harris said.

The process for Brown was extremely helpful, as she had official visits at Princeton, Stanford and Duke and was able to experience the true collegiate sport, mimicking the reality of it all. She knew she wanted to row alongside others who shared her passion and skill level.

“Recruitment was exciting, talking to many different coaches who were all thrilled to talk about their program was a great experience because I knew that whichever college I chose I would be with coaches and teammates that cared about rowing,” Brown said.

After Harris heard about Brown’s commitment to Stanford, she was shocked. Hearing that all of Brown’s work had paid off made her proud of her friend and teammate, as well as ecstatic that Brown had attained her dream.

“It honestly makes me so proud, and I can see that she is excited to go there, and I hope it will all be worth it to her,” Harris said.

Brown was offered the unique and thrilling opportunity to represent the U.S. in the 19 and Under Championship. Brown and her team won gold, defending the previous year’s title.

“It was incredibly fun rowing in a new environment, and seeing other countries row on the course,” Brown said.

However, this wasn’t all positive for Brown. She faced some difficulties after arriving in the new country France. The time changes and new routines that followed weren’t easy, but through a stressful couple of weeks, she managed to keep her cool and finish with a triumphant outcome.

“When I crossed the finish line I felt very relieved, after working hard for two months it was very nice to not have anything to worry about besides cheering my teammates on,” Brown said.

Now that she has committed to Stanford, Brown will continue to work hard until she sees the team next year.
“I am focused on keeping good grades during senior year as well as getting stronger and improving my rowing,” Brown said.