Serving up success

Boys tennis welcomes a new coach this season

The boys’ varsity tennis team had a great season last year and hopes to continue breaking records. Making the team requires a level of skill that goes beyond a match here and there with your family at the annual reunion. Who better to coach these athletes than the man who has devoted his life to the game of tennis?

New coach Brian Kean, who once competed at the national level and opened Eastside, a tennis club, has taken on the role of head coach for the boys varsity tennis team as of this year.“I’ve been coaching for over twenty years,” Kean said. “Thirteen of those years were spent working with high school students, but over the course of my career, I’ve worked with more than 200 teams.”

Having the opportunity to teach young minds is something that Kean finds extremely rewarding. Watching beginner athletes pick up the racket so quickly takes him back. As well as the energy that teams bring to the court, due to their desire to win big.

Brandon Stafford ’22, who’s in his second year on the team, believes that the team’s ability to win Regionals this year and have a quality state tournament is more than just a possibility. Especially, with good role models like Coach Kean.“He has helped me a lot personally with my singles position specifically, and the team as a whole,” Stafford said.

Based on the team’s recent achievements from the start of this season, these goals don’t seem to be too far from reach. The team defeated Eisenhower 7-1 in a recent MAC match, a team that was a championship competitor they tied 4-4 against last year. In addition, they took a 6-2 victory against our rival school, Grosse Pointe North, doubling their chances to be the MAC red champions this year.

Aside from all the blood, sweat and tears that go into each practice and game played. Together, the guys meet for meals and activities apart from their usual rally.“We held a team celebration at Eastside at the start of the season,” Kean said. “We played dodgeball, football, soccer and ended it with a barbeque.”

Finding a replacement for any successful coach can be difficult. Especially when combined with the tennis team’s great success in the past. This puts a decent amount of pressure on finding a suitable match for the team. Luckily, Kean has both the determination and knowledge to not only teach his players to become better each day, but also is grateful for the opportunity to learn from and connect with them on a personal level.

“I’m excited to see the team’s progress moving forward,” Kean said. “ I am grateful to be a part of that.”