The boys are back on track with new coach

Jet Miller '24

NEW coach Lazar coaching the boys pole vault.

Jet Miller '24, Staff Writer

After a year without the help of an experienced pole-vaulting coach, the boys track team is once again full-staff with the recent addition of Ed Lazar. With nearly four decades of coaching experience and additional experience as an athlete himself, Lazar will be a key-player in the regional-championship push.
As for his aspirations, Lazar remains optimistic; he is prepared to help the team while also focusing on his own sphere of influence.

“I want to make sure that we’re giving the pole vaulters the opportunity to go as high as they can safely go, and (I’m) also just trying to contribute some of the wisdom that I’ve learned over 40 years of coaching to the rest of the guys,” Lazar said.

Lazar’s experience extends far beyond just the track. After working on several different teams and through several different sports, as well as starting and running multiple independent business ventures, Lazar is more than prepared to work not just with the vaulters, but the entire team.“I ran track in high school, and in college– I was a middle distance runner,” Lazar said. “My coach there was an Olympic decathlete, and he made sure that everybody knew all 10 events in the decathlon whether we wanted to or not.”

As for the adjustment to the team environment, Lazar feels the transition has been seamless.

“I couldn’t be happier here,” Lazar said. “The coaching staff is great–we’re like brothers. The guys on the team are gentlemen, and they’re good sports.”With such an extensive background, Lazar’s advice to his athletes is surprisingly brief, yet nonetheless impactful.“Always do your best, work to your capacity, and live a balanced life.”