Finn-tober Fest continues for the third year

Joseph Strong '25, Staff Writer

ADVERTISING FOR THE CAUSE Scattered around South, these posters serve as a reminder of the run students can participate in.

The Finn It Forward organization is hosting the third annual Finn-tober Fest which includes running and walking events. Founder Jamie Baker will help host the Finn-tober Fest on October 22, and the money raised through the event goes to an LGBTQ community center.

“Spreading kindness, love and equality is our mission,” Baker said.

According to Baker, the event began with tragic death of Finn Huston ’22, who was in a fatal car-related accident on October 10, 2019. In Finn’s memory, the event began.

“He had a really kind heart,” Baker said. “(Huston) looked out for the people that he could see kind of struggling.”

The Finn It Forward organization also provides scholarships to students, mostly to Grosse Pointe South seniors, specifically those in the German program.

“We do scholarships for kids doing the German exchange program but due to Covid, all of that has been (put) on hold,” Baker said. “But we want to start up again.”

Science teacher Shelly Rothenbuhler helps organize the Finn-tober Fest with Baker. She had a close relationship with Huston, who was on her first science olympiad team.

“I actually still think of him often,” Rothenbuhler said. “He was really special and anything that we can do to support his cause and remember him is really important.”

There are three events relating to the Finn-tober Fest- the 4 mile run, 2 mile walk and an obstacle course. The routes for the races are going to be mostly unchanged, sticking in the neighborhood south of Jefferson and around the Patterson Park area. The obstacle course may replace the T-rex relay, which will be relocated from Trombly to Patterson.

“It should be a fun location,” Rothenbuhler said. “It’s going to be good to see what they do with that.”

Last year, there were around 150-200 people participating in the races, but it was hard to count because there was no defined starting line. People can still sign up for the Finn-tober Fest on the Finn it Forward website.

“Our organization is out there to carry (out) what [Huston] was doing,” Baker said. “I hope that people will slow down and see others as people and try to find a common ground.”